The South Carolina State Library. Columbia, SC.
Columbia combines all the graces of the rich past with the vibrance of the emerging Sun Belt. It's the state capital and home to a major university. One of America's outstanding zoos, Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens, is just minutes from the state capital. The State Museum also tells the colorful history of South Carolina. If you like water sports, Lake Murray is a 50,000-acre playground less than 15 minutes from the heart of the city.
The South Carolina State Library (SCSL) serves the people of South Carolina by supporting state government and libraries to provide opportunities for learning in a changing environment. We develop, support, and sustain a thriving statewide community of learners committed to making South Carolina stronger.
If you are looking for an organization that offers:
- a collaborative and inclusive work environment
- an excellent work culture
- paid professional memberships
- professional development and learning opportunities for staff
- tuition assistance
- an opportunity to work with professionals that are passionate about delivering exceptional results and advancing the mission and vision of their organization
Then South Carolina State Library is the organization for you!
The South Carolina State Library is the primary administrator of federal and state support for the state's libraries. SCSL bears responsibility for public library development, service for the blind and physically handicapped, and library service to state government agencies. The Agency is a locus for collaborative library endeavors of all kinds and works closely with the University of South Carolina’s School of Library and Information Science. Headquartered in downtown Columbia, SCSL is well-supported with state and federal funds. We serve the people of South Carolina by supporting state government and libraries to provide opportunities for learning in a changing environment. The State Library succeeds because of the people we employ: Passionate professionals who believe South Carolina library users deserve first-rate resources, services, and support. We are seeking talented, enthusiastic individuals who wish to join us in making a contribution to the development of great public libraries. The South Carolina State Library is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
We have a great career opportunity available for a Continuing Education Consultant in our Columbia, South Carolina headquarters.
Under limited supervision of the Director of Library Development, serves as a Public Library Consultant specializing in the area of continuing education (CE) for public library staff. The Consultant works independently and as a cooperative member of the Library Development Services team.
We outwardly demonstrate who we are as an organization through our values. Our people are our greatest resource and our values drive our people.
Communication: We believe communication in every direction and through multiple methods is essential to doing our work at the highest level. As an information organization, we use a transparent process for decision making which encourages creativity and fosters collaboration among staff and our community.
Flexibility: An agile organization is one that can change course to provide better services. We define our organization in this way and pride ourselves in being good stewards of all resources.
Community Driven: Our community is the state. Our value is demonstrated in what we are able to give back as public servants. We believe that by remaining open to our community’s needs, we can personalize experiences for individuals and groups.
Inclusivity: We strive to expand opportunities to better connect with others and break down barriers. Integrity, respect, and equality guide our performance and we are committed to hiring staff that reflect our community.
Professionalism: Our staff model professionalism by providing a welcoming environment, excellent customer service, valuing diversity, and supporting multiple methods of service delivery. A well-trained and knowledgeable staff is our greatest asset.
Hiring Range: $41,777 - $59,537
Need more reasons to apply?
SCSL is committed to providing our employees with a collaborative and inclusive work environment that provides challenging work, personal and professional growth, and a work/life balance.
In addition to all the great perks we’ve already shared, we also offer:
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement, and more
- 15 days of annual leave per year
- 15 days of sick leave per year
- 13 paid holidays
- Team Building Activities – We believe in growing together
Don’t miss this great opportunity to take your career to the next level! Apply today.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age (over 40), sex, including pregnancy and childbirth (or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
- Create a statewide CE program for public library staff, with the goal of improving the skills for staff at all levels thereby raising the quality of library services
- Offer a variety of training in order to develop staff to meet the informational needs of South Carolinians.
- Work with internal and external content providers to plan learning events. Develop effective delivery models, schedule and facilitate these events, and coordinate promotional efforts.
- Consult with public library directors and supervisors via email, telephone, and site visits about CE issues and opportunities for staff.
- Develop content and execute trainings in person and in electronic formats for defined audiences.
- Prepare public library staff to become peer trainers. Cultivate a community of peer trainers in SC libraries through regular meetings and communications.
- Collect, analyze and report data on CE efforts and trainings for the public in libraries statewide.
- Regularly evaluate the effectiveness of the State Library’s CE efforts. Encourage and assist in the evaluation of libraries’ staff and public training efforts.
- Support the elements of all agency projects that are related to library staff skill-building and knowledge acquisition.
- Maintain a budget for continuing education and professional development within the Library Development budget and work with the Grants Administrator on grants for professional development in the library community
- Serve as SCSL’s liaison to CE initiatives, forums and professional groups; represent the State Library at state and national gatherings.
- Assist with the effort of updating Public Library standards
- Assist with the implementation of learning events including registration, payments, and logistics of trainings
- Coordinate the Certification process for public library staff including the review and issuance of State Library professional certifications.
- A masters’ degree in library science from an ALA accredited college or university and appropriate professional library experience.
- Four (4) years of responsibilities in public libraries demonstrating increasing responsibility
- Two years (2) specifically related to continuing education for public library staff.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of learning theory and instructional design.
- Specific knowledge of the principles and practices of continuing education in a library setting.
- Knowledge of contemporary public library services, collections, operations.
- Knowledge of typical library issues and problems, especially those related to staff skills and CE efforts.
- Current knowledge of programs, curricula, and resources available to perform assigned tasks.
- General knowledge of principles and practices of public library consulting.
- Ability to develop, plan, schedule and implement services that meet the goals of the position.
- Excellent public speaking skills with the ability to conduct trainings to audiences large and small
- Superior writing skills for audiences of all levels
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team
How to Apply:
All applications must be submitted online at: