The Richland Library is actively searching for an engaged and skilled Customer Relations Manager to oversee the Checkout Department located at the Richland Library Main. This position reports to the Director of Library Experience, Main. Management and skills are highly important. Applicants should also possess excellent internal and external customer service skills that align with our vision and mission (as outlined on the Strategic Plan) and that guarantee fulfillment of our promises to be welcoming, caring, committed to offering the best to our customers, helpful, fresh and fun.
The successful candidate is an excellent communicator who can keep all Checkout Department staff engaged and on the same page, and can lead them in effectively modeling enthusiasm and commitment to our mission. He/she is comfortable with utilizing ever-changing technology, and must have strong skills in working with public of all ages and various backgrounds.
The following responsibilities are among those you would have if selected for this important position:
- Providing overall management for a large department open to the public 70 hours per week.
- Maintaining overall responsibility for personnel management for department staff, assisted by Checkout Librarian and senior library assistants.
- Interviewing, checking references, selecting, orienting, training, and supervising staff.
- Reviewing work of departmental personnel; preparing, conducting, and reviewing probationary and annual evaluations; handling disciplinary matters; reviewing and deciding employee leave requests.
- Supervising and training staff in all duties including circulation policies and procedures, customer service, and departmental operations.
- Training Floater Associates in checkout duties.
- Selecting, training, and managing volunteers in checkout support duties.
- Monitoring, analyzing, revising, and realigning department workflow, staffing, and scheduling to optimize resources effectiveness and efficiency. Arranging for staff scheduling and coverage, including emergency circumstances.
- Overseeing all aspects of extensive checkout policies and procedures, and effectively resolving related issues and problems; interpreting and communicating to public and staff regarding policies/procedures and the automated circulation system.
- Monitoring technological functions and equipment; notifying appropriate staff regarding problems with processes and equipment.
- Developing and implementing effective plans for optimizing processes as appropriate.
- Monitoring and troubleshooting problems with computers, copiers, printers, scanners, cash registers, credit card units, change machines, public address system, and telephone system including switchboard.
- Maintaining statistical records for the department, and preparing narrative and statistical reports of departmental activities; preparing incident reports.
- Preparing budget estimates and requests for department; performing ongoing work related to budget and expenditures.
- Serving as night supervisor for library system as assigned.
- Initiating, planning, and coordinating programs and initiatives within the department.
Please visit our website at www.richlandlibrary.com/careers for further details.
- Preferred minimum qualifications include: ALA-accredited MLS degree and three (3) years of satisfactory professional library experience in a library of recognized standing after receiving the MLS degree. Transcripts must be presented upon hire.
- In lieu of the above, consideration may be given for the following combinations of education and experience:
- a bachelor’s degree in a highly relevant field and a minimum of six (6) years of documented relevant work experience, including work that would demonstrate the needed knowledge, skills, and abilities (for example, hospitality or customer service management); or
- a master’s degree in a highly relevant field and a minimum of four (4) years of documented relevant work experience, including work that would demonstrate the needed knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
- Ability to perform job functions.
APPLY IMMEDIATELY at https://rcpl.munisselfservice.com/employmentopportunities. No deadline is presently established for this Vacancy. Applications being accepted now. When a deadline is determined, the deadline will be announced 24 hours in advance on the Library’s website.
Please do not send your resume/cover letter separately; only materials submitted through our online system are reviewed. All applicants must submit an online employment application using our online system. In addition to the online application, you may also attach your resume and/or cover letter; but the resume and/or cover letter will not be acceptable as an alternative to completing the online application fully. Keep in mind that if you are applying for multiple positions, you will need to submit an application for each position.