Job Summary: Position will be approximately 26 evening hours per week (Sundays 6pm-11pm, Mondays 5pm-11pm, and Wednesday – Thursday 6pm-11pm); primarily during the fall and spring, based on the college academic calendar and library schedule. Position is limited to less than 1,000 hours per fiscal year.
• Provide assistance to the reference librarian in all phases of evening library services.
• Is responsible for opening and closing the library on Sunday evenings, and for closing the library
Monday – Thursday evenings.
• In absence of the reference librarian, serves as the person in charge of the library building and
• Assists the reference librarian and campus police with providing security for the building and
enforcing library rules/regulations.
• Assists in the supervision of evening work study students.
• Assists with ordering, cataloging, and processing of materials.
• Provides basic tech support for library computers, software, printers, etc.
• Assists the reference librarian with providing basic reference services by developing familiarity
with all library databases, software, resources, and equipment.
• Assists in the shelving, shelf reading, inventory, and weeding of all library materials.
• Assists the reference librarian in compiling usage statistics and reports.
• Performs other tasks and duties as requested.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
•Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs as well as a willingness to learn new technology.
•Ability to communicate with and work well with all members of the library team.
•Basic knowledge of library software, systems, and processes.
Required Physical Abilities:
•Must be able to routinely lift and carry up to 20 pounds up and down the stairs.
•Ability to bend, stoop, reach, stand, move from one area of the building to another on a regular basis, sit and use a computer for a long period of time.
•Manual and physical dexterity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
•Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer display screen, in hand-written form, and printed on paper.
•Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
This work is normally performed in an office environment and will require significant contact with students and faculty members. This library is two stories with no elevator.
•Associates Degree or equivalent.
•Previous library experience preferred.
Please send a letter of interest, resume and list of three (3) references to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications begins July 30, 2019. Position is open until filled.