Employees in this position embody the Library’s code of service by creating an atmosphere where customers and coworkers feel invited, informed, impressed and inspired. They greet customers and coworkers with a welcoming smile, and they enthusiastically provide knowledgeable and meaningful assistance in the discovery and use of Library resources, services and technology. As the person in charge in the absence of the manager, maintains efficient operations by providing support and guidance to paraprofessional staff and volunteers. Work is performed under general supervision, in accord with the Library’s vision and mission, using good judgment in the application of policies and established procedures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS/ABILITIES & CHARACTERISTICS
(Testing of computer skills may be part of the interview process for this position.)
• Knowledge of basic computer, mouse and keyboard use.
• Knowledge of Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers and email.
• Knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
• Considerable knowledge of the functions of reference and readers’ advisory services, including the major fields of learning.
• Some knowledge of publisher and dealer practices and methods.
• Preferred: Knowledge of supervisory methods and techniques.
• Ability to operate and care for computers and their peripheral equipment, e.g. RFID pads, barcode readers, printers, etc.
• Ability to learn the Library’s integrated system software, i.e. an automation system used to manage library processes.
• Ability to demonstrate to customers the use of computer equipment, Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, email and the Library’s website; including the online catalog and databases .
• Ability to learn and demonstrate the use of current mobile device technology to assist customers in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s online digital materials such as eBooks.
• Ability to communicate concepts, general information and task-related information in oral, written and electronic forms.
• Ability to learn, implement and maintain complex filing systems including the Dewey Decimal System with a high level of accuracy.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of customer records, security related incidents and other identifiable customer uses of Library resources and services.
• Ability to resolve conflicts, problems and complaints with tact and diplomacy.
• Preferred: Bilingual – English/Spanish skills.
• Preferred: Touch typing skills.
• Works well in a team environment.
• Enjoys working with people and possesses a strong commitment to customer service.
• Enjoys working in a leadership role, providing instructions and directions to subordinates.
• Establishes rapport with others in person and on the telephone, and maintains effective working relationships with customers and coworkers.
• Works calmly and effectively in stressful situations and in a sometimes noisy and chaotic environment.
• Follows established procedures and instructions received from supervisor.
• Possesses strong organizational skills and is detail oriented.
• Performs routine tasks efficiently and without difficulty.
• Uses good judgment and discretion in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
• Is receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement.
• Takes ownership of work, does what is needed without being asked and follows through until task is resolved.
• Arrives on time, works hours as scheduled and maintains a good attendance record.
• Master’s degree in Library Science from an A.L.A. accredited college or university
• Coursework or experience emphasizing public library reference, readers’ advisory service and research
• Certified or eligible for certification by the South Carolina State Library
• Experience working with the public in a customer service position
• Experience working in a library or formal learning environment
• Supervisory or leadership experience
Visit the Job Openings page on our website at www.greenvillelibrary.org to submit an online employment application and/or for additional information about our application process. Inquiries may be directed to
Cindy Quinn at (864) 527-9232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current employees must also complete and submit an
Internal Job Application Acknowledgement Form, which may be downloaded from StaffWeb.
GCLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GCLS participates in E-Verify.