The employee in this position assists the Branch Manager schedule, direct, coach and supervise the staff and activities related to the operation of the Five Forks Branch of the Greenville County Library System (Library). The staff member embodies the Library’s code of service by creating an atmosphere where customers and employees feel invited, informed, impressed and inspired. This person greets customers and employees with a welcoming smile and enthusiastically provides knowledgeable and meaningful assistance in the discovery and use of Library resources, services and technology. The Branch Supervisor serves as the person in charge in the Branch Manager’s absence and supervises part-time paraprofessional staff at the branch. Work is performed under general supervision, in accord with the Library’s vision and mission, using good judgment in the application of policies and established procedures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS/ABILITIES & CHARACTERISTICS
(Testing of computer skills may be part of the interview process for this position.)
• Thorough knowledge of modern library principles and of procedures and skills applicable to public libraries.
• Knowledge of supervisory methods and techniques.
• Knowledge of the functions of reference and readers’ advisory services.
• Computer literate with knowledge of Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers and email.
• Knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
• Some knowledge of publisher and dealer practices and methods.
• Ability to operate and care for computers and their peripherals, e.g. RFID pads, printers, etc.
• Ability to learn the Library’s integrated system software, i.e. an automation system used to manager Library processes.
• Ability to demonstrate to customers the use of computer equipment, Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, email and the Library’s website; including the online catalog and databases.
• Ability to learn and demonstrate the use of current mobile device technology to assist customers in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s online digital materials such as eBooks.
• Ability to learn and enforce the Library’s policies, procedures and regulations to customers and employees.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of customer records and other identifiable customer uses of Library resources and services, security related incidents and personnel issues.
• Ability to learn and enforce Federal and State laws pertaining to employment.
• Ability to supervise and direct the work of others and provide coaching, training and disciplinary actions as needed.
• Ability to effectively use independent judgment to resolve staff, patron and operational problems within established guidelines.
• Ability to deal with difficult individuals in unusual situations with tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to communicate concepts, general information and task related information in oral, written and electronic forms.
• Ability to learn, implement and maintain complex filing systems including the Dewey Decimal System with a high level of accuracy.
• Preferred: Bilingual – English/Spanish skills.
• Preferred: Touch typing skills.
• Enjoys interacting with people and possesses a strong commitment to providing an exemplary customer experience.
• Enjoys working in a leadership role, providing direction and guidance to staff.
• Establishes rapport with others in person and on the telephone, and maintains effective working relationships with customers and coworkers.
• Works calmly and effectively in stressful situations and in a sometimes noisy and chaotic environment.
• Follows established procedures and instructions received from supervisor.
• Possesses strong leadership and organizational skills.
• Works well in a team environment.
• Values technology as a tool, staying on top of technology trends.
• Recognizes change as an opportunity for growth.
• Performs routine tasks efficiently and without difficulty.
• Uses good judgment and discretion in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
• Is receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement.
• Takes ownership of work, does what is needed without being asked and follows through until task is resolved.
• Arrives on time, works hours as scheduled and maintains a good attendance record.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science from an A.L.A. accredited college or university
• Three years of library experience, one at a supervisory or leadership level.
• Demonstrably progressive work experience showing an increase in the level of duties and responsibilities.
• Certified or eligible for certification by the South Carolina State Library.
• Other combinations of experience and training, which meet the minimum requirements, may be substituted.
• Supervisory or leadership experience in a public library.
Visit the Job Openings page on our website at www.greenvillelibrary.org to submit an online employment application and/or for additional information about our application process. Inquiries may be directed to
Cindy Quinn at (864) 527-9232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current employees must also complete and submit an
Internal Job Application Acknowledgement Form, which may be downloaded from StaffWeb.
GCLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GCLS participates in E-Verify.