$43,009.80 to $ $44,079.00 Annually
An employee in this position is responsible for the overall supervision of the Local and State History Department, including management of the collection, and supervision, training, and scheduling of staff in the Local and State History department. Co-coordinates the supervision, training, and scheduling of IS staff for general information services. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Headquarters Services Manager. This position regularly acts as Person in Charge in the absence of the Headquarters Services Manager.
• Provides in-depth genealogy and/or family history research services for the public. Orients and instructs the public and staff in the use of the library’s online public access catalog.
• Supervises, trains, evaluates, and schedules Local & State History and information services staff to ensure policies and procedures are followed, customers are given efficient, prompt, and competent assistance, and pleasant working conditions are maintained.
• Develops and conducts adult programs through the Adult Programming Council. Works with the Librarian II Youth Services to coordinate curriculum-based programming for school visits.
• Develops and presents proscribed training for the system at all eight branch locations to ensure the library’s continued delivery of fast, efficient, and accurate reference services through print and electronic resources. Works with the Training Coordinator to develop and schedule training.
• Oversees collection development work and purging of obsolete and/or worn materials for the assigned areas within the facility. Selects and recommends for purchase printed, audiovisual and electronic material in assigned subject areas to develop and maintain for public use under the direction of the Division Manager for Collection Development.
• Supervises and assists with the development of finding aids to encourage and help the public find needed information in print and electronic formats.
• Supervises facility staff and operations in the absence of the manager.
• Researches, identifies, develops and prepares proposals and applications for public and private grant opportunities under the direction of the Division Manager for Public Services.
• Assesses Local and State History collections to recommend resources for digitization projects. Coordinates the digitization process with outside agencies.
• Discusses with supervisor work methods, problems, short and long range developments and/or plans.
• Participates in appropriate councils and committees, making recommendations for system-wide policies and procedures.
• Provides in-depth reader’s advisory services to the public.
• Oversees the Local and State History web page on the library’s website. Actively serves on the Web Team.
• Compiles, prepares and maintains reports, records, statistics and budget information for the assigned department.
• Evaluates services, programming, and materials collection for assigned department to ensure compliance with library’s five year plan.
• Works in collaborative efforts with other community agencies.
• Maintains awareness of library trends in the delivery of services.
• Reviews the Local and State History Scope of Collection statement and updates as needed under the direction of the Division Manager for Public Services.
Master of Library Science degree (MLS) and two years of professional librarian experience required.
MLS professional librarian experience in a public library preferred; experience with genealogy and/or family history research resources and methods preferred; experience with archives and preservation of documents is preferred; six months supervisory experience preferred.
Trainee applicants must have at least 12 months experience as a MLS professional librarian in a public library
We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.
Contact the Cumberland County Human Resources Department at
(910) 323-6100 or email email@example.com