SALARY: $43,654.95 to $45,402.00/Year
CONDITIONS: Selected applicant must have access to transportation and a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record at the time of hire. Within 60 days of hire, must obtain and show proof of a valid NC Driver’s License and must maintain an acceptable driving record while employed; background check with local law enforcement agency required; and must submit to a drug-screening test and receive a negative result for the use of drugs specified in the county policy. Refusal to submit to testing or a confirmed positive test shall be basis for withdrawal of the conditional employment offer.
DUTIES: This position is located at the Headquarters library and provides excellent reference service and readers' advisory in youth literature. Develops and presents innovative and dynamic programs for youth from birth through grade 12. Works collaboratively with colleagues, system-wide, on special initiatives such as grants, new service development, and ordering materials
• Supervises, hires, trains, evaluates and schedules Youth Services staff. Ensures that policies and procedures are followed, customers are given efficient, prompt, and competent assistance, and pleasant working conditions are maintained
• Develops age-appropriate programs within and outside the library
• Provides assistance to customers at the Youth Services Desk or Adult Information Desk by assisting with information requests and readers' advisory
• Oversees Youth Services collection development including print and electronic materials under the direction of the Youth Services Division Manager; deselects obsolete and worn materials; makes recommendations for replacement materials and may contribute to system wide collection development areas, including responsibility for expending a designated portion of Youth Services materials budget
• Develops plans for Youth Services programming for youth and their caregivers. Effectively and efficiently promotes programs to the community, using system resources
• Acts as person in charge and mediates customer service issues in the absence of the branch manager.
Master of Library Science degree (MLS) required. Must have two (2) years experience as a professional librarian. Six months supervisory experience preferred. Experience in providing services to youth is preferred.
Trainee candidates must have at least 12 months experience as a MLS professional librarian.
We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Contact Trina Whitfield (910) 323-6100 firstname.lastname@example.org
or the Cumberland County Human Resources Department at (910) 678-7655;
Library website: https://www.cumberlandcountync.gov/departments/library-group/library