DUTIES: An employee in this position is required to provide reference service and readers’ advisory in youth literature. Develops and presents programs for youth from birth through grade 12. May act as supervisor in charge on a regular basis in the absence of the manager. Works with other YS Librarian II’s under the direction of the Division Manager for Youth Services to plan and implement new services and programs for youth. May be assigned system-wide responsibilities such as grant management, new service development, or ordering materials.
- Supervises, hires, trains, evaluates and schedules Youth Services staff within the assigned branch or within the system to ensure policies and procedures are followed, customers are given efficient, prompt, and competent assistance, and pleasant working conditions are maintained.
- Develops and conducts age-appropriate programs within and outside the library.
- Provides assistance to customers at the Youth Services desk or Adult Information Desk by assisting with information requests and readers’ advisory. Assists customers with computer labs.
- Oversees Youth Services collection development including print and electronic materials under the direction of the Youth Services Division Manager; deselects obsolete and worn materials; makes recommendations for replacement materials and may contribute to system wide collection development areas, including responsibility for expending a designated portion of Youth Services materials budget.
- Develops plans for Youth Services programming to ensure adequate number of programs for children and their caregivers are provided and effectively promotes programs using system resources.
- Acts as person in charge and mediates customer service issues in the absence of branch manager.
- Discusses with supervisor work methods, problems, short- and long-range developments and/or plans.
- Actively participates in Youth Services Advisory Council and Youth Services Leadership Team. Actively participates in coordinated programming among all locations as determined by the Youth Services Division Manager, and makes recommendations for programs, policies, and procedures.
- Promotes library Youth Services and programs through, but not limited to public outreach such as informational fairs, school and/or child care center visits, and writing occasional articles as requested.
- Compiles, prepares and maintains departmental reports, records, statistics, and budget information.
- Participates in professional training and activities to keep current on issues and trends and to further professional development.
- Provides Youth Services training under the direction of the Youth Services Division Manager, including, but not limited to: children’s literature, puppetry, storytelling, book talking, programming skills, reader’s advisory, reference, and bulletin board development.
- Participates in planning special events, including but not limited to: Summer Reading Program, Children’s Book Week, Teen Read Week, and other special events.
- Maintains an attractive and inviting department.
- Works collaboratively with community agencies serving youth.
Master of Library Science degree (MLS) required. Must have two (2) years experience as a professional librarian. Six months supervisory experience preferred. Experience in providing services to youth is preferred.
Trainee candidates must have at least 12 months experience as a MLS professional librarian.
We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.