This position is being reposted and previous applicants do not need to apply again to be considered.
CONDITIONS: Selected applicant must have access to transportation and a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record at the time of hire. Within 60 days of hire, must obtain and show proof of a valid NC Driver’s License and must maintain an acceptable driving record while employed; background check with local law enforcement agency required; and must submit to a drug-screening test and receive a negative result for the use of drugs specified in the county policy. Refusal to submit to testing or a confirmed positive test shall be basis for withdrawal of the conditional employment offer.
An employee in this position is responsible for providing advanced library services to customers at youth services desks by answering reference questions and assisting youth, parents, and caregivers with the selection of material and the use of library resources. Develops and presents programs for youth, birth through grade 12. Assists in youth collection development and system-wide initiatives.
- Maintains an efficient, dynamic and customer-service oriented youth department under direction of Youth Services Librarian II in regional branch and under direction of branch manager in community branch by (but not limited to): assisting youth and adults in obtaining information from a variety of print and electronic resources in person and by telephone.
- Assists customers in computer labs.
- Supervises, trains, evaluates and schedules subordinate staff in the community branch setting and provides input on performance evaluations of subordinate staff not directly supervised.
- Develops and conducts age appropriate programs for youth both within the library and at other venues outside the library.
- Promotes library Youth Services and programs through, but not limited to, public outreach such as informational fairs, school and/or child care center visits, and writing occasional articles as requested.
- Assists in collection development for the department and branch as assigned by purging obsolete or worn materials, makes recommendations for replacement materials.
- Serves as working member of the Youth Services Council and other councils as assigned.
- Participates in development and presentation of system wide training in skills related to youth services including oral storytelling, puppetry, readers' advisory and youth literature.
- Prepares and develops content for brochures and informational literature for children and caregivers in print and electronic formats.
- Assumes responsibility as the person in charge for the department or branch in the absence of the department or branch manager as needed.
- Works in collaborative efforts with other community agencies.
- Reports and documents incidents of conflict or disruption of service, calls for emergency services as needed.
- Creates displays to promote library resources, services, or programs.
- Participates in professional training and activities to keep current on issues and trends and to further professional development.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Master of Library Science degree (MLS) required.
Preferred candidates will have educational background or experience in Youth Services
Trainee applicants must have completed at least 75% of required course work towards a MLS and submit a letter from the dean of the library school that states the number of credit hours already obtained and that the candidate can complete all Master's degree requirements within twelve months.
We accept on-line applications only. You may complete the application from our website at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cumberlandcountync/default.cfm
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed county application.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Contact the Cumberland County Human Resources Department at
(910) 678-7653; or email@example.com
Library website: http://www.cumberland.lib.nc.us/ccplsite/content/employment-opportunities.