The South Carolina State Library. Columbia, SC.
Columbia combines all the graces of the rich past with the vibrance of the emerging Sun Belt. It's the state capital and home to a major university. One of America's outstanding zoos, Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens, is just minutes from the state capital. The State Museum also tells the colorful history of South Carolina. If you like water sports, Lake Murray is a 50,000-acre playground less than 15 minutes from the heart of the city.
The South Carolina State Library (SCSL) serves the people of South Carolina by supporting state government and libraries to provide opportunities for learning in a changing environment. We develop, support, and sustain a thriving statewide community of learners committed to making South Carolina stronger.
If you are looking for an organization that offers:
- a collaborative and inclusive work environment
- an excellent work culture
- paid professional memberships
- professional development and learning opportunities for staff
- tuition assistance
- an opportunity to work with professionals that are passionate about delivering exceptional results and advancing the mission and vision of their organization
Then South Carolina State Library is the organization for you!
The South Carolina State Library is the primary administrator of federal and state support for the state's libraries. SCSL bears responsibility for public library development, service for the blind and physically handicapped, and library service to state government agencies. The Agency is a locus for collaborative library endeavors of all kinds and works closely with the University of South Carolina’s School of Library and Information Science. Headquartered in downtown Columbia, SCSL is well-supported with state and federal funds. We serve the people of South Carolina by supporting state government and libraries to provide opportunities for learning in a changing environment. The State Library succeeds because of the people we employ: Passionate professionals who believe South Carolina library users deserve first-rate resources, services, and support. We are seeking talented, enthusiastic individuals who wish to join us in making a contribution to the development of great public libraries. The South Carolina State Library is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
We have a great career opportunity available for a Library Services Specialist in our Columbia, South Carolina headquarters.
The primary roles of the Library Services Specialist are providing excellent customer service to patrons, staff the Information Desk daily, and effectively communicate information about library materials, services, programming and resources. This position requires regular interaction with patrons of diverse backgrounds, outstanding communication skills, and comfort with serving as the primary contact for library patrons.
We outwardly demonstrate who we are as an organization through our values. Our people are our greatest resource and our values drive our people.
- Communication: We believe communication in every direction and through multiple methods is essential to doing our work at the highest level. As an information organization, we use a transparent process for decision making which encourages creativity and fosters collaboration among staff and our community.
- Flexibility: An agile organization is one that can change course to provide better services. We define our organization in this way and pride ourselves in being good stewards of all resources.
- Community Driven: Our community is the state. Our value is demonstrated in what we are able to give back as public servants. We believe that by remaining open to our community’s needs, we can personalize experiences for individuals and groups.
- Inclusivity: We strive to expand opportunities to better connect with others and break down barriers. Integrity, respect, and equality guide our performance and we are committed to hiring staff that reflect our community.
- Professionalism: Our staff model professionalism by providing a welcoming environment, excellent customer service, valuing diversity, and supporting multiple methods of service delivery. A well-trained and knowledgeable staff is our greatest asset.
Hiring Range: $28,215 - $35,000
Need more reasons to apply?
SCSL is committed to providing our employees with a collaborative and inclusive work environment that provides challenging work, personal and professional growth, and a work/life balance.
In addition to all the great perks we’ve already shared, we also offer:
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement, and more
- 15 days of annual leave per year
- 15 days of sick leave per year
- 13 paid holidays
- Team Building Activities – We believe in growing together
Don’t miss this great opportunity to take your career to the next level! Apply today.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age (over 40), sex, including pregnancy and childbirth (or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
- Staff Information Desk, welcoming and guiding library visitors.
- Assist patrons with circulation of library materials.
- Prepare, receive, and process daily interconsortial library deliveries via courier.
- Provide support for daily operations of public services.
- Provide logistical support for public programming and exhibits.
- Reshelve returned library materials and perform stack maintenance.
- Order, receive, and process new library materials.
- Perform other duties as required.
- A high school diploma and relevant library experience. A bachelor's degree may be substituted for work experience.
- 2 years of public service experience in a library.
- A working knowledge of computer applications for library services.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, organizational, oral, written and communication skills.
- Ability to organize time effectively to manage a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
How to Apply:
All applications must be submitted online at:
South Carolina State Library
1500 Senate Street
Columbia, SC 29201