Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Orders, processes, and monitors the spending of library funding for books.
- Contacts vendors on the status of library materials ordered and develops reports on the status and receipt of these orders.
- Verifies book deliveries against invoices; maintains records of book acquisitions; and resolves routine problems in technical procedures.
- Performs pre-order searching using GOBI/YBP Market Place, ExLibris Alma System, and OCLC bibliographic database for eliminating duplications in the library’s collection.
- Communicates the status of library acquisitions ordered to the Reference and Information Specialists and to other appropriate personnel as needed or upon request.
- Assists the coordinator with cataloging and spine labeling for the library’s general collection and processing and inventorying continuation books.
- Prepares and maintains statistical reports pertaining to cataloging.
- Develops book displays of new titles and gift donations.
- Assists the coordinator with preparing gift book donation correspondences.
- Supervises and trains student assistants in work-related office procedures and prepares timesheets for student assistants, interns, and related student workers.
- Participates in workshops, seminars, conferences, and related professional development activities.
- Serves on library and university-wide committees.
- Performs other tasks and assignments as required.
- Some nights and weekends required.
-High School Diploma.
-At least two years of library related training or work experience including filing
-Knowledge of computer operations
Preferred Requirements for Entry into Position:
An Associate degree is preferred, but not required; competency in computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite); ability to consistently maintain a high level of accuracy, completeness, and thoroughness in work; ability to plan, organize, and complete work with little or no direct supervision; ability to supervise the work of others; ability to analyze and solve problems; good working knowledge of library procedure for technical services) acquisitions, cataloging, processing books, and related procedures); ability to work independently and cooperatively with others; good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to interact positively and productively with library personnel, other university personnel, and the public. Ability to learn all aspects of the position.
Required Applicant Documents:
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
Reference Letter 1
Reference Letter 2
Reference Letter 3
If interested, please visit the SC State University’s employment website at:
For Additional Information Contact:
Mrs. Cathi Mack, Head of the Search Committee
Cathi Mack, MLIS
Assistant to the Dean
Coordinator of Technical Services/Instructor
Miller F. Whittaker Library
South Carolina State University
300 College Street
Post Office Box 7491
Orangeburg, SC 29117
(803) 536-8633 (office)
(803) 536-8902 (fax)