South Carolina State Library | Columbia, SC
Columbia combines all the graces of the rich past with the vibrance of the emerging Sun Belt. It's the state capital and home to a major university. One of America's outstanding zoos, Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens, is just minutes from the state capital. The State Museum also tells the colorful history of South Carolina. If you like water sports, Lake Murray is a 50,000-acre playground less than 15 minutes from the heart of the city.
The South Carolina State Library is the primary administrator of federal and state support for the state's libraries. SCSL bears responsibility for public library development, service for the blind and physically handicapped, and library service to state government agencies. The Agency is a locus for collaborative library endeavors of all kinds and works closely with the University of South Carolina’s School of Library and Information Science. Headquartered in downtown Columbia, SCSL is well-supported with state and federal funds. We serve the people of South Carolina by supporting state government and libraries to provide opportunities for learning in a changing environment. The State Library succeeds because of the people we employ: Passionate professionals who believe South Carolina library users deserve first-rate resources, services, and support. We are seeking talented, enthusiastic individuals who wish to join us in making a contribution to the development of great public libraries. The South Carolina State Library is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
The primary roles of the Public Services Librarian are providing excellent customer service to patrons; staff the Information Desk daily; organize and implement library programs, events, outreach and workshops for the first floor; perform reference, collection development, administrative and circulation duties; effectively communicate information about library materials, services, programming and resources; and represent the library on committees, in professional organizations and at conferences. This position requires regular interaction with patrons of diverse backgrounds, outstanding communication skills, and comfort with serving as the primary contact for library patrons and experience in library programming.
- Starting salary range $35,000 - $45,000 depending on experience.
- Benefits Include: vacation (15 days per year); sick leave (15 days per year); holidays (13 days per year), standard benefits package and South Carolina State Retirement System.
- Provide patron services in person, via the phone, written correspondence, email and online chats.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and evaluate relevant programming for library patrons.
- Assist with promoting library initiatives.
- Participate in agency meetings, committees, conferences and professional organizations.
- Effectively communicate information about library programs, collections, services, resources, procedures and policies.
- Perform other duties as required.
- A Master’s degree from a library school accredited by the American Library Association and at least one year of experience providing library public services.
- A working knowledge of computer applications for library services.
- Ability to provide professional library services to people from all walks of life in a consistently positive manner.
- Experience in library programming.
- Demonstrate exemplary public relations to the community, libraries, state agencies and legislative members about the library.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, organizational, oral, written and communication skills.
- Flexible schedule including working evenings and weekends occasionally.
The State Library actively promotes professional development and learning opportunities for staff. Work takes place in an office environment. No physically demanding requirements, but ability to retrieve library materials is essential. Limited overnight travel required.