The Youth Services Librarian plans and provides programming for youth of all age groups, selects circulating and non-circulating materials for youth of all ages, performs collection management and maintenance, coordinates and plans summer reading, trains staff to provide and provides reference services to all ages.
This position reports to the Library Director and includes supervisory responsibilities. Duties may require independent judgment and action within specific parameters. This position requires the ability and willingness to travel to any branch in the system. Evening and weekend shifts may be assigned.
This position starts at $34,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Compensation package includes generous health care benefits, paid leave, and opportunities for professional development. Participation in state retirement plan is required.
Essential Job Duties:
- Develops, coordinates, promotes, and presents youth programming and outreach, with particular attention to early literacy.
- Creates and coordinates displays for the youth areas across branches.
- Supervises youth services assistants, ensuring consistent quality of outreach services.
- Participates in library planning and committees.
- Staffs and supervises service desks as needed, answers reference questions, and provides readers’ advisory services to all ages.
- Provides instruction for patrons in the use of library catalog and databases, internet, and basic office software such as word processors and spreadsheets.
- Assists in troubleshooting technology problems for public and staff, including issues with smartphones, tables, e-readers, computer applications, and library software.
- Performs collection development duties.
- Represent the library to community groups, schools, and other groups relevant to position.
- Evaluate and prioritize the needs of the library’s youth services on a regular basis, and reports these needs to the Director.
- Keeps current with information, news, and trends in youth services librarianship.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The following education, skills, and abilities are required:
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program.
- Supervisory experience.
- Public library experience working with children and young adults, or any combination of training, experience, and education relevant to the essential duties of this position.
- Valid SC driver’s license.
- Personal transportation that can be used for business travel is required.
- One to three (1-3) years of public library experience as a professional youth services librarian.
- Experience developing and implementing programs and activities for young adults.
- Strong background in childhood development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Supervisory experience in public libraries.
- Skills or experience in one or more of the following areas: IT support, ILL, grant writing, fluency in Spanish, peer training, web site maintenance, graphic design, marketing, social media.
Interested applicants should submit an application for employment, resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcripts to:
Diann Smothers, Director Marion County Library System
101 E Court Street
Marion, SC 29571
Application form can be found at: http://www.marioncountylibrary.org/images/docs/forms/application.pdf
Review of applications will begin on March 6 and will continue until position is filled.