• The mission of the York County Library (YCL) is to enrich and sustain the lives of the citizens of York County by providing library services that meet their informational, recreational, and lifelong learning needs.
• Serving York County, SC, YCL is headquartered in Rock Hill, with branches in Clover, Fort Mill, Lake Wylie and York. In addition, YCL has a bookmobile and a specialized wheelchair accessible sprinter van to provide outreach services.
• Continuing its commitment to learning for education and entertainment, YCL offers a variety of free programs for adults, teenagers and children. From author visits to theatre performances, everyone can find something to meet their interests. YCL also provides classes for learning to use computers and the Internet.
• Along with its collection of print material, audiobooks, downloadable material and more, YCL also offers numerous electronic resources through its website and Virtual Library, most of which can be accessed around the clock from any computer. With computer terminals featuring Internet access, educational software, and more at all locations, YCL is well-equipped to meet the needs of the community in this digital age.
Starting Salary, Hours, & Benefits:
• Beginning salary is $76,689.60.
• This position requires a standard work week of 40 hours and participation in various meetings and work-related functions outside the standard work week. May also be required to respond to emergencies after hours.
• The benefits package for the Assistant Director includes participation in the South Carolina Retirement System, comprehensive medical benefits including dental and vision, vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays, and 3 optional days/floating holidays.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• The Assistant Director manages operations for five libraries, overseeing staff, facilities, and programs and services.
• Monitors public interest, best practices from other systems, and input from staff to enhance library services.
• Supervises the selection and maintenance of all aspects of the library’s collection, including the virtual collection.
• Maintains accurate and up-to-date records of all department and branch activities and purchases including budgets.
• Clarifies, monitors, and updates policies and procedures.
• Maintains the security and safety of the facility, patrons, guests, and library personnel including compliance with ADA; makes related recommendations to the Director.
• Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, hiring, coaching, and completing employee performance appraisals.
• May assist in the branches or other departments as needed.
York County Library is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to achieving excellence and strength through diversity. York County Library seeks a wide range of applicants for its positions so that one of our core values, a qualified and diverse workforce, will be affirmed. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance requires York County Library to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
Required Training & Experience:
• Completion of ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS degree.
• Five years progressively responsible professional (post MLIS) library experience including public service and programming experience.
• Three years management experience.
Preferred Training & Experience:
• Strong public speaking skills and the ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
• Above average decision-making skills.
• Customer service, self-motivation, and problem-solving skills.
Special Certifications & Licenses:
• Must have a current South Carolina Professional Librarian Certification from South Carolina State Library or be eligible to obtain said certification.
• Must possess and maintain a valid state driver’s license with an acceptable driving history.
• Applications are available at any York County Library or online at www.yclibrary.org.
• Resumes are required and will not be accepted in lieu of a York County Library employment application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
• The completed application along with the accompanying resume may be mailed or emailed to Buffy Koran (firstname.lastname@example.org), HR Manager, York County Library, PO Box 10032, Rock Hill, SC, 29730.
• Eligible candidates will be called to arrange an interview after the closing date listed on the posting.
• Due to the high volume of applications received, acknowledgement of their receipt will not be sent to applicants.