Allen University, a Historically Black University located in Columbia, South Carolina, invites applications for the position of Reference and Instruction Librarian. Reporting to the Director of Library Services, this is a position with high visibility and requires front-line interaction and excellent customer assisting patrons with the use of the library and its resources.
• Conducts group instruction sessions for students and faculty. Provides individual instruction to users with varying skill levels, in the research process and in effective use of electronic and print resources and databases. Teaches skills needed to identify, locate, access, and evaluate information and resources, and develop information literacy knowledge to navigate and locate varying types and formats of information sources. Develops instructional modules for general-and course-specific library research.
• Assists the library team with the library’s Automated Management Services, including subsystems for cataloging, resources discovery, inventory control, and interlibrary loan.
• Assists with digital resources collection, including database products and licenses, user authentication software, AU digital repository with SC Memory (ContentDM).
• Coordinates the development of new technology applications that support library programs and services and identify emerging technologies and develop programs and best practices for the J. S. Flipper Library.
• Collaborates with library and university IT staff, faculty and students. Also engage with faculty and other librarians to enhance students’ research skills by the creation and delivery of instruction activities and class sessions.
• MLS/MLIS/MIS degree or related from an ALA accredited program
• One to three years of experience working in a post-secondary institution library
• Experience with electronic information services, library systems and applications
• Specific knowledge and experience in managing Ex Libris, OCLC WorldShare, OCLC WorldCat Discovery system, and EZ Proxy authentication system
• Experience with and strong commitment to customer service and library instruction; working knowledge of basic Microsoft Office applications, Web development tools, and macOS applications; effective oral and written communication skills.
Mail a cover letter, vitae, unofficial graduate transcripts and names, phone numbers and email of three professional references to: Director of Library Services Allen University 1530 Harden Street Columbia, SC 29204 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Allen University is an equal opportunity employer.