JOB TITLE: Assistant County Librarian of Public Services, Grade 33
LOCATION: System-wide position located at the Headquarters Library
DATE AVAILABLE: November 1st, 2023
SALARY: $67,288 per year (Includes generous benefit package)
HOURS: 40 hours per week – Exempt position
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited ALA library school and at least 5 years of supervisory experience. Must complete pre-employment testing.
• Works directly with the County Librarian and the other Assistant County Librarians as an integral member of the administrative team supporting the library’s mission, vision, values, and strategic plan.
• Provides direct supervision, leadership and guidance to fourteen Public Service managers through regular meetings and planning sessions.
• Guides the direction of Public Services to ensure inclusive and innovative spaces and programs.
• Supports equitable service by developing objectives for consistent, welcoming service at all SCPL library locations.
• Reviews policy and procedures for Public Services staff and programs.
• Recommends changes and staff training to align programs and services with the current needs of library patrons.
• Regularly visits all nine branch locations to meet with staff and review facility needs.
• Evaluates current and future staffing, programming and space needs for Public Services, making recommendations for changes in the annual budget process.
• Must support the Libraries Board of Trustees by providing regular reports and participating in committee meetings as needed.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited ALA library school
• Thorough knowledge of professional library principles, procedures, and practices with five years of public library experience and at least 5 years of supervisory experience
• Forward-thinking and aware of changing and dynamic services to keep pace with changes in library use over time for continuous improvement and evolution based on patron needs
• Extensive knowledge of public library programming for all ages
• Strong technology skills with good working knowledge of library ILS and RFID systems, PC time management systems and other equipment related to Public Services
• Excellent leadership and communication skills with the ability to align people, process and technology
• Ability to prepare a variety of financial and statistical reports
• Strong work ethic and interpersonal and customer service skills that display a positive attitude, cultural sensitivity, and a sense of humor with the ability to interface with people from all backgrounds and age groups
• Creative, organized and flexible with proven leadership, team building, and project management skills
• Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment
• Valid driver’s license with the ability to drive to other libraries
The library accepts applications, cover letters, and resumes when a job position is available. Drug Testing is a part of the Library’s hiring process. If you require any accommodations in applying for any position, please do not
hesitate to ask. The Spartanburg County Public Library is proud to be tobacco free.
Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited ALA library school and at least 5 years of supervisory experience.