Blacksburg Library Branch,
201 South Rutherford Street
Blacksburg, South Carolina
Posting Date: Friday, September 1, 2023
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position: Branch Manager (MLIS Degree Preferred),
Pay: $38,000-$40,000 per year, plus benefits
Status: Regular Full-time
Available: September 2023
Location: Blacksburg Library Branch, 201 South Rutherford Street, Blacksburg, South Carolina
Schedule: Mon.-Fri. 9:30-6:00p (Possible weekend hours in future)
Employees in this position supervises and manages daily operations of a branch library. Work include training and supervising all branch staff at their location; assisting patrons as needed; presenting model customer service; providing readers’ advisory, reference, and computer assistance for branch staff; collaborating with the Management Team to maintain branch collections and to develop and implement delivery of programs and services for their branch. The employee prepares the financial deposits and are responsible for financial transactions. This position also serves as part of the Library Supervisory Team. Work requires significant public contact. Work is performed independently under the general supervision of the Library Director and is evaluated based on meeting established goals.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day functions of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position.
• Assigns, instructs, directs, and supervises branch staff to implement the branch service plan.
• Prepares staff schedules, approves leave requests, and requests assistance when supplemental coverage is needed.
• Provides assistance in reference, reader’s advisory, and circulation services to customers and employees.
• Implements library policy and procedure as needed during daily operations, consulting with library director if needed, and communicates policy/procedure to staff and patrons
• Plans, organizes, schedules, and implements branch programs for adults.
• Assists Youth Services in providing, coordinating, and promoting children’s programs. Coordinates branch-initiated children’s and teen programs with the Youth Services Department.
• Works with library director filling branch staff vacancies.
• Makes recommendations to the acquisition manager regarding the development and maintenance of the branch collection; weeds collection based on condition, timeliness, and use.
• Assists in planning for changes and improvements in branch operations, including furnishings and equipment recommendations and formulation of goals and objectives.
• Assists customers with current mobile device technology and assists them in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s digital materials such as eBooks, magazines, and music.
• Opens and closes branch according to established procedures.
• Ensures that branch safety and maintenance issues are reported promptly and properly.
• Receives and compiles statistics, memos, documentation, reports, correspondence, etc.
• Answers questions on Library operations, policies and procedures, and addresses problems and complaints.
• Establishes relationships with organizations and groups in the community to promote Library services, resources and programs.
• Ensures fines and fees are collected and reported accurately.
• Coordinates use of branch meeting spaces and maintenance of meeting room calendar.
• Attends meetings, training programs, workshops, conferences, etc., as requested by supervisor and/or as funds are available.
• Empties book drops during Library holidays and other closings.
• Ensures safe work methods are followed to prevent injury.
• Works a schedule that meets the needs of the unit.
• Performs other related duties as required, including those of any staff member in the unit.
MINIMUM TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Supervisory or leadership experience in a public library.
• Demonstrably progressive work experience showing an increase in the level of duties and responsibilities.
• Must possess valid SC driver’s license.
• Other combinations of experience and training, which meet the minimum requirements, may be substituted.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science from an A.L.A. accredited college or university.
• Certified or eligible for certification by the South Carolina State Library.
Must have the ability to:
• concentrate for long periods of time
• speak clearly and distinctly
• hear and/or comprehend verbal communication
• hear audible alarms and notifications
• see and interpret all job-related materials
• operate library equipment as assigned
• lift up to 40 pounds and push book carts weighing over 100 pounds
• sit for long periods of time
• stand for long periods of time
• walk, bend, and stoop
• reach, grasp, and use hands to touch, handle, or feel
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS/ABILITIES & CHARACTERISTICS
• Thorough knowledge of modern library principles and of procedures and skills applicable to public libraries.
• Knowledge of supervisory methods and techniques.
• Considerable knowledge of the functions of reference and readers’ advisory services.
• Computer literate with knowledge of Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, and email.
• Knowledge of business English, spelling, and arithmetic.
• Some knowledge of publisher and dealer practices and methods.
• Ability to work under minimal off-site supervision for extended periods of time.
• Ability to learn the Library’s integrated system software, i.e. an automation system used to manage Library processes.
• Ability to demonstrate to customers the use of computer equipment, Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, email, and the Library’s website; including the online catalog and databases.
• Ability to learn and demonstrate the use of current mobile device technology to assist customers in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s online digital materials such as eBooks.
• Ability to plan, organize, and direct activities of a branch library.
• Ability to learn and enforce the Library’s policies, procedures, and regulations to customers and employees.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of customer records and other identifiable customer uses of Library resources and services, security related incidents and personnel issues.
• Ability to supervise and direct the work of others and provide coaching, training, and disciplinary actions as needed.
• Ability to effectively use independent judgment to resolve staff, patron, and operational problems within established guidelines.
• Ability to deal with difficult individuals and unusual situations with tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to communicate concepts, general information, and task-related information in oral, written, and electronic forms.
• Ability to learn, implement, and maintain complex filing systems including the Dewey Decimal System with a high level of accuracy.
• Enjoys interacting with people and possesses a strong commitment to providing an exemplary customer experience.
• Enjoys working in a leadership role, providing direction and guidance to staff.
• Establishes rapport with others in person and on the telephone, and maintains effective working relationships with customers and coworkers.
• Works calmly and effectively in stressful situations and in a sometimes noisy and chaotic environment.
• Follows established procedures and instructions received from supervisor.
• Possesses strong leadership and organizational skills.
• Works well in a team environment.
• Values technology as a tool, staying on top of technology trends.
• Recognizes change as an ongoing opportunity for growth.
• Performs routine tasks efficiently and without difficulty.
• Uses good judgment and discretion in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
• Is receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement.
• Takes ownership of work, does what is needed without being asked and follows through until task is resolved.
• Arrives on time, works hours as scheduled, and maintains a good attendance record.
Please complete the Application for Employment form at
Submit a completed application and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org